Should I be excited about camp? Technically I should be but I get this feeling something's going to go horribly wrong. Now don't get me wrong, I really want to have fun at camp, especially since this could be our last one. Maybe it's because of the tension building between us at school, the distance, the silence. Maybe it's dreading the talent quest which almost everyone is entering in order to get into peer support.
Anyway, I should be packing but I really can't be bothered. Bought a ukulele yesterday and it's purple and I was playing it almost non-stop all day, which resulted in my fingers hurting from pressing the strings. What a smarticle. My voice is also dead from singing too much. What a great combination.
That was something my English tutor said and it sort of inspired me, or at least made me think and understand things better. And I thought about how much this applies to us and the people around us. Sometimes we try so hard to fit in that we lose our uniqueness, the thing that makes us special. It is important for us to feel a sense of belonging, but we shouldn't lose ourselves to be a part of something else. Sure, there's conflict between the two, individuality and belonging but neither can survive without the other. There's no similarity without difference. There's no balance without the two.
We should have something that feels close to us, making us feel like we belong but that thing shouldn't have to force us to change ourselves to fit them. It should embrace the uniqueness in everyone. We don't have to be like everyone else. We just have to be ourselves because the people who can accept us for us are the real friends we will keep for life.

0 comments:
Post a Comment